For all the 23 things finishers:


Friday, April 11, 2008

Thing 17 of 23 things

I am posting this with the intent to edit it as soon as I experience what happens when I attempt to send ELM database info. to my new RSS account that was suggested to be a good one to try. RSSowls.org may just do what I'm told it will do, but navigating on their site is pure misery. It doesn't look anything like Bloglines or Google Reader. I am going to download the rss aggregater from RSSowls. org to my desktop at home and hopefully the page that pops up will make my task easy and successful. This did not work for me. I couldn't get it to download as far as I know. The site was user un-friendly in my opinion.

I completed the other 3 parts of this thing first since I had read the comments on all the hassles of getting ELM on the rss feeds. The EBSCO web page was surprising to see the customization available to spruce up your information. I haven't had a need to use this fancy of a page, but the ability to easily email the information to patrons or project collaborators is a plus for all. As the library assimilates and utilizes Web 2.0, sending materials to patrons via the Internet is going to be more common place.

ProQuest Newstand Complete is very straightforward and no-nonsense. I've done this search only once or twice before with someone guiding me. It wasn't for a patron that time, but I have had one patron ask if we had access to the Washington Post for a photo she wanted to see. I regret that I didn't have any answers for her. I actually am still not 100% sure. It didn't appear to me that anything, but text is available. I'm happy to become more familiar with it, but I need more experience.

I was totally unfamiliar with Net Library, but I was proud to accomplish this part of the thing in very little time, thanks to the set up of the page and the directions. The "add note" and the abilty to put info. in favorites is great.

This experience has convinced me of the value of signing up for a Minitex webinar and for our library to consider offering specialized classes on using these ELM tools.

No comments: