For all the 23 things finishers:


Monday, April 7, 2008

Thing 12 of 23 Things

I signed up for Digg. There was no contest which of the social media sites I would select. Mixx and Reddit are completely weird. Newsvine is not my style either, but I can see why it would appeal to some people. Mixx and Reddit are time wasters. I don't need this many sites to check to find frivolous information. I can live without Digg also, but I liked how I can customize my page and it was appealing to see a photo of the creator of Digg and find out a little bit about him. It made the site seem more personal to me.

I researched the whole time I allotted to complete this thing and couldn't find a story that I wanted to submit to Digg. I found one article searching the "most read book", but only to learn it was a Digg article in the first place. I am very intimidated by these sites. I don't think I would ever be interested in submitting an article or even find one worthy of submitting. I do understand that I probably have patrons who get their information from these sites (It hasn't been indicated to me, as yet.) and I should be up to date with what my patrons are reading on these social media sites. It is my opinion, however, that any "valuable" information is probably going to be found on some other sites that I recently became aware of because of 23 things on a stick. I already subscribe to some New York Times articles and the BBC News.

This concept seems to generally promote sensationalism. There certainly are non-sensational articles, photos, and videos, but my first impression is that it isn't the purpose of the primary users. I really hope that the regular users of these social media sites have a life and a job that is a lot more productive and involves some physical activity. I think I've put on a few pounds sitting at my computer during nearly all of my free time.

No comments: