For all the 23 things finishers:


Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thing 15 of 23 things

Even though I had didn't actually get onto Puzzle Pirates and I didn't try Second Live because of the slow speed of my computer, I feel that this thing educated me a great deal about the concept of gaming in libraries. First, I must explain that I tried many times to launch a game with Puzzle Pirates and got stuck at "Resolving Downloads" many times. As I am writing this, I see it got further to downloading data, but seems to be stuck at 23%. I read some other blogs about the 23 things experience with both Puzzle Pirates and Second Life and many of the resources supplied. I am glad I read the 8 Myths about Video Games, since I had believed many of the myths to be true, though I also believe statistics can often be slanted whatever way the author wants them to be. Still, I did learn new information. One myth was that video gamers are nearly all boys. That myth must be prevalent because I was shocked earlier in my research for this thing that a resource referred to the boys playing the games. I can't remember where I read it, unfortunately. I have had many boys play Runescape at the library, especially when they are bored in the summer. Now I have a bunch of young girls coming in with their Webkinz. I have learned more about Webkinz than Runescape, since the girls seem to be more open to the idea that if they don't understand something they ask for help. Now who is stereotyping? Sorry guys.

I viewed the Second Life Info. Island blog and I must say I thought it would be more visually exciting. My blog is more exciting. It provided a great deal of information mostly by the old fashioned way - reading it.

I checked out the Charlotte & Mecklenburg County Public Library Teen Second Life program. I think the teens are the only ones with any business creating a second life, but that's just my opinion, which I realize isn't important here. I have enough to do in my first life. Maybe if you were an adult in rehab or prison it would be an interesting way to spend your time. I digress. I read the actual teen comments in this section. The teens are impressed with Info. Island, calling it "an amazing platform". One teen says, "I think librarians now are outdated. Second life provides an entirely different method of making one." Outdated! All I have to say to this teen is 23 Things on a Stick provides an entirely different method of making one also. And we, librarians, aren't virtual.

No comments: