For all the 23 things finishers:


Monday, April 7, 2008

thing 13 of 23 Things

I have had a google homepage for a few weeks now and it's the cat's meow. I still am getting used to taking full advantage of it, but I am appreciating it and customizing it more all the time. The more I can squeeze on the my homepage that I would need to look up elsewhere the better. I have Bloglines and Google Reader, though I really should simplify and transfer all the Bloglines feeds to Google Reader. I guess I should put that on my Remember the Milk list, which is also compatable with Google. I looked at all of the tool sites, but most of them were over the top for my situation. Backpack is a great tool for a very involved person, but not necessary for me. I either feel like I'm not that important to have so many things to keep track of without these tools or I feel if I use these tools I will feel like I have many things to keep track of so I must be important. I think I'd rather feel unimportant and not so busy. I did like the idea of the Sticky Notes that I can place anywhere on the web. It does make sense to remind yourself why you've tagged or bookmarked a page. I know I'd forget sooner or later. I have been viewing the Google Calendar with my head librarian's and other staff schedules on it, but I haven't created my own as of yet. The library's hours are my hours so it hasn't been necessary. I plan on using Remember the Milk for birthdays and other lists. I am a recovering list maniac, so I am careful now not to write too many different lists, but I might fall off the wagon with this innovation. All my lists on the computer - this is too good to be true. Seriously, this would come in very handy at the library for all those little tidbits that the patrons bring me that I keep on the backs of recyled computer printouts or on 50 little stickies restuck on a pile waiting to be either taken care of or transcribed to something I can file away. I just need to categorize the lists and they will be ready to fill in on the fly. Some things like order requests I put directly into a Google document to share with the head librarian. Remember the Milk just may make the recycled paper and Post-It notes last a lot longer. I subscribed to Lifehacker. Ooh, I hate that name, but I do desire to stay up to date on Web 2.0 one thing at a time from now on. 23 things at once feels like 10 more things to go (lets face it - it's more like 30 or 40 more things) and I will be ready to write my graduate thesis.

No comments: