For all the 23 things finishers:


Saturday, April 5, 2008

Thing 11 of 23 things

This was another mind blowing exercise that I will surely make use of. I got so carried away by some of the del.icio.us sites that I could make use of right now I was writing notes left and right. Speaking of note taking, I had no idea that there are web applications designed for taking notes, online calculators, applications specifically for keeping track of research, doing bibliographies and on and on. Finding out that these tools exist makes me very happy someone came up with tagging and del.icio.us for me to find all of these new things again now that I have tagged them.

It's very interesting to me to see the scope of what the 5 libraries had for their del.icio.us tags. Only one of the five sites let me go back to the library homepage from the link 23 things gave us and discover just how the user would access the del.icio.us tags, particularly if they had never heard of them before. The Manasha Library had the tagged sites under the main category "Online Research" and under that as "Recommended Websites". It is my wish that our library system would add this to their web page. It would open the eyes of countless library users to what's available on the web. Having your interests bookmarked on any computer you use is a phenomenal innovation. Students, trip planners, hobbiests; the list is endless for who would be able to take advantage of tagging.

Now for the social part of the bookmarking. The ability to look at who is interested in what you are interested in is amazing. The 8 minute tutorial video explained well how wonderful this tool can be to connect you to other people and their insights. Talk about one thing leading to another. Next there will be counselors specializing in web addiction. Maybe there already are.

No comments: